Onion and Dill Bread


Onion and Dill Bread

Last week I tried making bread for the first time. It wasn't this onion and dill bread recipe, but another one. Epic FAIL! I couldn't get the dough to become anything more than a big mess of goop, and when I tried to knead it, it ended up all over my hands and wrists. Most of the dough ended up on me rather than staying together to form a nice ball. Kneading it and letting it rise didn't help at all. It was supposed to be formed into an oval shape and baked on a baking sheet {as apposed to bread pans to keep its shape}. The outside ended up burning because it was flat, and the inside was still gooey. It looked like a giant chocolate chip cookie that had been burnt.

I later read that bread is one of the hardest things to make. With that in mind, and one of my favourite quotes from Julia Child, "No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing." I set out to try my hand at baking bread again.

This time I managed to get the dough from a gooey, runny, slimy paste, to a nice ball that stayed together {yay!!!} by kneading in extra flour. I think I added too much, though, because the bread, while it was delicious, seemed a little too dense and I think it needed to be a little lighter and fluffier.

I have to say that this onion and dill bread is quite simply delicious! My kids were scared to try it at first, because it has onions in it. They thought that's all they would taste! When they saw how much I enjoyed it, they decided to give it a try.....and they loved it.

I would definitely make this again and hopefully next time my bread making skills improve!


Want more bread recipes? Take a looky at this board:

Ingredients:
  • 2 envelopes active dry yeast, or 4 1/2 tsp
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 cups bread flour
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp Kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 12 oz cottage cheese, small curd
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh dill, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 Tbsp fresh onion, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup {1 stick} butter, melted
  • 1 tsp coarse salt


Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine yeast and warm water. Let  it stand until yeast is dissolved.
  2. Sift bread flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Add yeast mixture, cottage cheese, dill and egg. Mix until dough comes together, adding more flour or water if necessary. Knead by hand for 10 minutes or until dough becomes smooth and elastic. I had to add quite a bit of flour to get it to stop being gooey and slimey.
  3. Place dough onto a lightly floured surface. Fold in Parmesan cheese and onion; knead for five minutes.
  4. Place dough in a well-oiled bowl. Cover gently with plastic wrap. Let it rise until it has doubled, at least 1-2 hours. You can test the dough to see if it's doubled by lightly dipping your finger in flour and pressing in the middle of the dough. If the hole stays indented, it's done rising. If it springs back, it still has more rising to do.
  5. Thoroughly grease two 12" bread pans. Return dough to lightly floured surface. Lightly press down to shape bread, then divide dough in half. Place the dough in bread pans. Cover with oiled plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled again in volume, at least 1 hour.
  6. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
  7. Pour 1/4 cup melted butter over each loaf, and sprinkle each with 1/2 tsp coarse salt. Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until brown. Let cool before serving. 
 
    Adapted from The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook.

    Looking for more delicious recipes? Check out these recipes:



      Never miss a post! Subscribe to our mailing list!


      0 Response to "Onion and Dill Bread"

      Poskan Komentar