Vegetable and Cheese Meatloaf


Vegetable and Cheese Meatloaf

Okay, I grew up reeaaally disliking meatloaf. So I was a little apprehensive about trying this recipe out for my family. I grew up with my mom making the driest meatloaf ever. Week after week it was the same thing, for years. YEARS!!! No amount of putting ketchup or any kind of sauce would help us wash it down.

But my fiance Jared loves meatloaf. We've been together for over a year and I haven't made it for him yet so I caved. I found a recipe from the Eat, Shrink and Be Merry cookbook that sounded good. I kind of altered the directions though, so it's not the same recipe, just inspired by it.

The ingredients called for finely diced mushrooms, red bell pepper, and zucchini. Now for adults and some kids these would be okay to be in the meatloaf but I know my kids. They would not touch it if they saw those things inside. Gavin, 9, would spend about an hour picking out each little piece, no matter how small they are. So I opted to "hide" the vegetables in a purée and they were non the wiser!

It actually turned out to be moist and juicy, not dry at all. The kids gobbled it up with no complaints and Jared....well, let's just say he loves me that much more now that I made him one of his favourite meals.

The recipe made enough for two loaves.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup each cut red bell pepper and zucchini {you will be using these in a purée}
  • 1/2 cup finely diced onions
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp dried basil
  • approx 2 lbs extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs, or 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp ketchup
  • 1 pkg Club House Superburger seasoning mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a medium non-stick pan with cooking spray. Add the onions and garlic, and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until onions are tender, stirring constantly. Add basil and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Take your cut red bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms and throw them in a blender. You will need to add a little bit of water to make a paste out of it and to get it to blend. 
  3. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup ketchup, your puréed vegetables, Superburger mix, egg, parsley, and pepper. Mix well with your hands. Add a small amount of bread crumbs if you find your mixture is too runny.
  4. Spray loaf pan with cooking spray. Place ground beef mixture into loaf pan, or alternatively, form into a loaf and place into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
  5. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. 
  6. Removed from oven and spread the remaining 2 Tbsp of ketchup over the meatloaf. Return to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 160°F.



Inspired by Eat, Shrink and Be Merry.
    Do you follow me on Pinterest? Come on over and stop by my Get In Mah bellay! board! 




    0 Response to "Vegetable and Cheese Meatloaf"

    Posting Komentar