Curried Cauliflower Soup with Swiss Cheese and Wild Rice

Flickr

Curried Cauliflower Soup with Swiss Cheese and Wild Rice

I have to admit I was a little nervous trying out this soup. I thought it would be a little bit too spicy for my liking, and definitely too spicy for my kids.

But it is not spicy at all! When I hear curry that's all I can think of. Every curry dish I've tasted has been super spicy. Not so with this soup. I can still taste a hint of curry, but more in a sweet taste than a spicy one.

This soup is also very filling, as it has the rice and sweet potatoes in it. This recipe makes enough for 8 servings. Which is good because you are going to want to keep coming back for more like we did. We ending up having some as a snack later on in the evening it was so good!

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
  • 2 cups thinly sliced leeks {about 1 large}
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 cups small cauliflower florets {or 1 head of cauliflower}
  • 1 1/2 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato {about 1 large sweet potato}
  • 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups cooked brown and wild rice blend {I used Uncle Ben's 7 Grains Medley}
  • 1 cup evaporated 2% milk
  • 1 cup packed shredded light Swiss cheese

Directions:
  1. Heat butter in a large, non-stick soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic. Cook, stirring until leeks begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
  2. Stir in the cauliflower, sweet potato, curry, and cumin. Cook and stir for another minute. 
  3. Add broth, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
  4. Transfer half the soup to a blender and purée until smooth. Return the puréed soup to the pot and mix well. Stir in the cooked rice, milk, and Swiss cheese. Heat soup for another minute or so. Serve hot.

Adapted from Eat, Shrink and Be Merry.

    Do you follow me on Pinterest? Come on over and stop by my Get In Mah bellay! board! 



    0 Response to "Curried Cauliflower Soup with Swiss Cheese and Wild Rice"

    Poskan Komentar