Broccoli Cheese Soup

Flickr

Broccoli Cheese Soup

This is an amazingly delicious soup. An absolute must try! I first found this soup from Peas and Crayons about 4 months or so ago and it has since become a staple in our house. 

It is simple to make and is such a comfort food that it is the one meal that I just keep coming back to again and again, week after week.

Funny little story about the first time I served it to my kids. We were still getting used to eating non-processed food and veggies at the time and they had never tried broccoli cheese soup before. My youngest, Tristan, automatically decided he didn't like it without even trying it. Had a tantrum over it and had to go to the corner for a time out and everything. After all was said and done he finally calmed down and tried it and he exclaimed, "OH!!! I actually DO like this!" and gobbled it all up. 

We don't have so many problems like that anymore in this house now. In fact, Tristan, 5, loves to help me cook new healthy meals for dinner now. It's amazing to me that we can go from having tantrums and refusing to eat healthy foods, to wanting to help cook a healthy meal and eating with no complaints in only a matter of a few short months.

This broccoli cheese soup is packed loaded with good for you veggies - broccoli, carrots, onion - not like those Cream Of soups that are just that....cream. This is made with good, whole, REAL food. And I think that's maybe I why I love it so much.

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of fresh broccoli
  • 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 cup Gouda cheese, grated, rind removed
  • 1 cup carrots, shredded
  • 1 onion, chopped 
  • 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup half and half {or heavy cream}
  • 3 Tbsp All-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp dried basil
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Wash, peel and cut your veggies. I use one of these nifty graters from Ikea to grate the carrots into. I use about 1 large, or two small carrots. Then I use my Slap-chop-like chopper to chop my onions and garlic because I'm very sensitive to the onions. {Quick kitchen tip I learned recently! Keep a small bottle of peppermint essential oil in your kitchen and take a few sniffs when you're eyes are burning from cutting onions. I haven't tested it out myself yet, but had my fiance sniff it while he was cutting the onions for me tonight and he said his eyes stopped burning almost right away!} 
  2. For the broccoli, I like to cut it all into tiny florets and not leave much of the stem.
  3. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, broccoli, bay leaf and vegetable stock to a large pot. Turn your heat on medium-high, and cook for 15-20 minutes with the lid on.
  4. Once the broth is done, you can start the roux. In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of butter on medium heat, whisking constantly. Once it's melted, add 3 tablespoons of flour, one at a time, continuing to stir after you add each tablespoon. If you'd like a thicker soup, add an extra tablespoon of each. 
  5. Remove from heat and slowly pour in the broth from your veggie mixture. I do this by placing a spaghetti strainer on top of the roux pot so I can catch the veggies. Stir to mix the broth with the roux. At this point now I take out the bay leaf out of the veggie mixture, otherwise I can never seem to be able to find it again to take it out later. 
  6. Next, I re-add the broth/roux back into the veggie mixture, and slowly stir in 1 cup of half and half.
  7. Return to your burner on minimum heat, uncovered. Add your spices and herbs. Feel free to add or take out any particular spices. Once, I completely forgot to add all the spices altogether {I was in a rush, sick, and stressed} and the soup still tasted pretty yummy.
  8. Finally, once the soup is warmed back up, add your cheese, stir it in there, and remove from heat immediately.


Adapted from Peas and Crayons.


Still hungry?



Never miss a post! Subscribe to our mailing list!


0 Response to "Broccoli Cheese Soup"

Posting Komentar